Over the years, we have welcomed thousands of healthy babies into the world. Expectant couples feel secure knowing that they will experience the best possible care that comes with our family-centered, one-on-one nursing care.
While the vast majority of babies are born healthy, some require an extra level of care and expertise when they are born. When that’s the case, we offer expert neonatal care.
In collaboration with the Dr. Harry E. Davis Pediatric Center, Mercy formalized a clinical affiliation with Maine Neonatology Associates (MNA) in 2021, providing more parents the option of Mercy’s personalized birthing experience, compassionate care, and clinical excellence. This partnership provides patients with an advanced level of newborn care from neonatologists and neonatal nurse practitioners in the hospital 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Services provided include:
- Attendance at birth when risk factors are identified.
- Emergency response when infants unexpectedly need additional help at the time of birth.
- Support of infant breathing through the use of oxygen or other tools such as CPAP.
- Phototherapy for infant jaundice.
- IV fluids when needed for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
- Management of common neonatal complications.
- Specialized breast feeding support including outpatient lactation services.
- Monitoring of infants at risk for Neonatal Opioid Withdrawal Syndrome (NOWS).
This expert care is complemented by a newborn nursery, featuring specialized equipment, including monitors, incubators, and oxygen.
We also understand how important it is for mom and baby to stay together, especially if they are breastfeeding. If required, The Birthplace provides mom the ability to stay and be supported if she is discharged before her baby.
If you have any questions about our neonatal care, we encourage you to call us at 207-553-6363.