Why might I need a bone density exam?

As you get older, your bones become thinner. As a woman, you have an even higher risk of losing bone density. A bone density exam uses an X-ray to see how much calcium and other minerals you have in your bones. This way, your provider can diagnose osteoporosis and provide the necessary treatment.

Your healthcare provider may recommend a bone density test if you:

  • Are a woman over the age of 65 (or a man over the age of 70)
  • Have significantly low body weight
  • Have lost a ½ inch or more in height in 1 year
  • Have experienced at least one fracture after the age of 50
  • Have a family history of osteoporosis
  • Have other risk factors, such as smoking, physical inactivity, or don’t get enough calcium or vitamin D in your diet