After your surgery is planned, you will be contacted by a specialist from our Peri-Operative Surgical Home (POSH). The goal of POSH is to help make your surgery as safe and stress-free as possible. Our team of healthcare experts will work closely with you to make sure you are in the best medical condition possible for the procedure and will work with you to determine if additional testing is needed. They will review all stages of the surgical process with you to ensure you are ready for surgery and prepared to care for yourself after discharge.
Depending on your current health and the surgery you are having, you will receive either a phone call from a nurse, a nurse practitioner, or an anesthesiologist. They will do an assessment over the phone and gather information about your health. In some cases, an in-person or telehealth visit may be needed.
During this assessment you will discuss:
- Past medical and surgical history
- Past experience with anesthesia and any problems you or your relatives have had with anesthesia
- Medications you should take or stop the day of surgery
- Recent testing you may have had
- Alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, and other drug use
- Your discharge plan
- How you can take an active role to ensure a good surgical outcome
If we are unable to reach you by phone, we will leave a message. If you have not spoken with us within two days of your surgery, please call us at 207-973-5456.
Please remember to pre-register for your surgery to avoid delays and cancellations. You can pre-register by calling 207-973-8900 or by visiting preregistration.northernlighthealth.org