On the day of your scheduled test:
- Bring two-piece pajamas and personal items (books, magazines, videos, etc.)
- Remain awake the day of the study.
- If you take prescription medications, please only bring with you what you will need to take while you are with us, in original containers, so they may be taken on schedule. Please note: some medications may interfere with your sleep and may require you to skip a doze. Please bring a list of all medications to your initial appointment so we may review them.
- Please bathe and shampoo your hair before coming to the sleep lab. Do NOT put any conditioners, hair sprays, or oils on your hair so electrodes may be applied to your scalp.
- Please have your evening meal before arriving for the sleep study.
- Please avoid any foods or activities that might interfere with your ability to sleep, including caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, late-day exercise, scary movies, etc.
What to expect:
- When you arrive at Northern Light Sleep Diagnostics, the technician will apply several electrodes and sensors to your head and other parts of your body. This process will take a little time, so you will not be able to go to bed as soon as you arrive.
- You will be allowed to go to sleep in a private room. The technologist will be present via video all night to monitor breathing, heart rate, brain wave activity, and body movements during sleep. Electrodes and sensors may need to be adjusted throughout the night.
- TV, radio, and cell phones are not allowed once the test has begun.
- The actual test will be a minimum of six hours.
- If no other testing has been scheduled, you may leave after the sleep study is complete.
- Shower facilities are available. Please bring soap, shampoo, toothbrush, etc.
- If you are staying for a daytime test, breakfast and lunch will be provided.
- Your test results will be analyzed by a board-certified sleep physician. The results will be sent to the physician who referred you to Sleep Diagnostics.
Sleep test results
Results of your sleep test will be sent to your doctor as soon as possible. Please note, when you receive your billing for these tests, you will receive two statements. The hospital bill includes charges for technicians, equipment, and supplies. The physician bill includes charges for the supervision and interpretation of the test results.