Patients & Visitors

Patients & Visitors - Sub Menu

If I want to be a nurse, what do I have to take for courses in high school?

You will need the basic science courses, like chemistry, chemistry lab, biology, and Algebra 1. All courses will help prepare you for the science courses you will take in nursing school. 

There are two directions you can take in nursing school.

1. There is a two year associate degree in nursing that is offered at Eastern Maine Community College in Bangor or at Kennebec Valley Community College in Waterville. Graduation from either and successful completion of your nursing boards will give you an "RN". Although this is a shorter route at the time, you will ultimately want to go back to school to move from an associate’s degree to a bachelor’s degree in nursing. Without the bachelor's degree, there is little upward movement in career choices.

2. The Central Maine area is very fortunate to have two bachelor of nursing programs within a short distance of Bangor. Husson College and the University of Maine both offer a bachelor degree in nursing. This is a four year degree and with successful completion and passing of your nursing boards, you will be a registered nurse. This degree allows mobility in your career choices in the future.