Northern Light Laboratory’s Urinalysis department offers a variety of urine, serum and fecal testing. The urinalysis department works to detect a wide-variety of disorders including: UTIs, diabetes, renal disease and malabsorption disorders.
Fully-automated urinalysis testing is performed on the Beckman IRIS. The IRIS performs specific gravity by refractometer, evaluates dipstick chemical results by a dual-wave reflectance system to ensure color correction, and automated microscopic evaluation of sediment using auto-particle recognition software obtaining 500 frames of information per specimen. This technology permits rapid hands-free urine evaluation allowing technologists to increase turn-around-time while maintaining accuracy.
Urinalysis testing services include:
- Automated Urinalyses
- Manual microscopic evaluation of sediment can be performed on low-volume specimens such as intensive care patients and neonates. This decreases the need for recollection while still maintaining accuracy when evaluating for casts, crystals and multiple cellular and parasitic components
- We offer several modern methodologies for assistance with manual urine microscopic evaluations. These include:
- Phase contrast utilized in manual microscopic evaluation to identify items of low-refractive index including hyaline casts and trichomonads
- Polarizing microscopy utilized in manual microscopic evaluation to identify birefringent elements in oval fat bodies
- Acetic acid utilized in evaluation of grossly-bloody specimens
- Confirmatory testing also includes SSA for protein
- Qualitative HCG tests are performed on both serum and urine for rapid pregnancy screening
- Monospot testing for rapid infectious mononucleosis screening
- Stool for occult blood testing includes both immunochemical and Guaiac-based methodologies Immunochemical testing does not require any dietary restriction and can easily be collected at home by the patient. The Guaiac-based method is best suited for the needs of our inpatient population
- Stool for reducing substances are performed on patients less than one year old as a screening test for carbohydrate malabsorption. Stool for pH testing is also available for screening of this disorder
- Gastric specimen testing for occult blood which aids in the rapid detection of gastric trauma
Contact Urinalysis at 207-973-7546