Summer Student Volunteer Program
The application period has ended for Summer of 2019.
If you have any questions, please call 973-7850. The deadline for returning students is March 1; deadline for new students is March 31. The Student Volunteer Program runs for eight to nine weeks each summer, dependent on the school calendar year.
This Program is viewed as an educational experience. Volunteering provides opportunities for teens to learn a sense of civic responsibility and become familiar with a variety of professions in the health care setting.
What are the benefits of being a Student Volunteer?
- Enjoy the satisfaction that comes from assisting your community
- Exposure to a hospital setting
- Gain work experience
- Helps with career decision making
- Opportunity to make friends and meet new people
- To be eligible for consideration, you must be a high school student entering freshman though senior year in the fall of 2019.
- First year students are required to obtain two reference letters as part of the application.
- First year students are expected to complete a health screening (by our Work Health Office).
- First year students attend an interview with the Student Volunteer Coordinator. Returning students are automatically invited to participate in a subsequent summer provided they are still age appropriate and barring any extenuating circumstances from previous participation.
- Student volunteers attend a mandatory orientation.
- Student volunteers receive department specific training and are expected to be familiar with and understand all the information in the orientation handbook.
- Students are expected to adhere to a commitment of a minimum of 1 day per week (8 hours) for at least 6 weeks of the program. Additional days/hours are usually available upon request.
Available 8 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday (if you are enrolling in driver’s education class or summer school, please be aware that our program requirements may not work with your schedule). Students are given a morning and afternoon assignment which will remain the same for the duration of the program.