Hand Hygiene can help prevent Influenza
Flu Season is upon us. Other than receiving the flu vaccine, one of the best ways to prevent the flu or other illnesses for that matter is proper hand washing. Clean hands can stop germs from spreading from one person to another and throughout an entire community. Follow these five steps every time.
1. Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply
2. Lather your hands the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your
nails with the soap.
3. Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday”
song from beginning to end twice.
4. Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
5. Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
It’s quick, it’s simple, and it can keep us all from getting sick. Handwashing is a win for everyone, except the germs.
Manager of Infection Prevention and Quality
Northern Light AR Gould Hospital.