The Cook is responsible for the preparation and cooking of proper amounts of food items, desserts, salads and other prep work. Standardized recipes, portion control, and preparation methods are used as prescribed by State and Federal guidelines. May be required to supervise a crew of up to six (6) in the area of cooking and food preparations. Is responsible for the cleanliness of work area and for safe, sanitary handling of food, equipment, and supplies. May be responsible for other food preparation tasks as assigned by the Supervisor/Manager.
01. Coordinates the cooking operation and the functions of proper food preparation for patient/resident/cafeteria customers food consumption.
02. Adheres to all organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
03. Maintains high standards of sanitation in all areas.
04. Participates in various meetings as necessary.
05. Ensures all products and food items are stored in accordance with AR Gould policies, adhering to State and Federal Law.
06. Coordinates the deliveries and food production in accordance with assignments from the Supervisor/Manager.
07. Helps control food costs through the use of standardized recipes, portion control, and food specifications.
08. Ensures the servers are adhering to proper holding temperatures for both hot and cold foods.
09. Oversees the handling of daily inventory.
10. Maintains proper production records.
11. Ensures all foods are served according to the diet manual.
12. Participates in departmental Performance Improvement program as needed.
13. Completes other projects and duties as assigned by the Supervisor/Manager.
Works in a hot, fast paced food production kitchen. At times conditions may be stressful. At times dealing with extreme temperature changes as evidenced when entering freezers.
Sitting – only during approved breaks.
Standing/Walking – most of shift.
Lifting – must be able to lift up to 50 pounds using good body mechanics.
Twisting/Bending/Squatting – moderate amount.
Hands/Arms/Wrist – must have good range of motion.
Vision – must be able to read and comprehend a grade 12 level of instruction.
Hearing – ability to hear items whispered at 3 feet (FAA Class III) is preferred.
Speech – must be able to speak and legibly write English.
Pushing/Pulling – must be able to push/pull a cart distances greater than 30 feet manually or with assistive devices.
1. High school diploma or equivalent preferred, but not required.
2. Education in Culinary Arts is preferred, but on the job training is available.
3. Some computer education and entry level experience.
1. Minimum of 6 months experience in a food production capacity preferred, but not required.
2. On the job training is provided as necessary.
SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to work in a kitchen with a production crew who are involved in both general and therapeutic diets (on the job training provided).
2. Ability to communicate in English effectively in both written and verbal form.
3. Ability to analyze problems, formulate sound solutions, properly present these solutions for approval and implement such solutions.
4. Ability to maintain a good rapport with others, including members of the health care team, subordinates, supervisors, and vendors.
5. Ability to organize and prioritize workflow.
6. Strong leadership attributes including professionalism and the ability to plan, assign, direct and evaluate the work of subordinate employees.
7. Knowledge of basic principles of organization and general food production.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.
Ability to follow oral and written direction thoroughly