The Patient Access Associate is responsible for providing a positive patient experience. Duties include checking patients in and out for their appointments. Scheduling follow up appointments. Collecting the estimated patient responsibility at time of service (copay, coinsurance, deductible, etc.). The Patient Access Associate will be exposed to light and noise from computers, telephones, photocopiers and other employees and clients in the department. Perform any duties and/or responsibilities assigned by Manager or Supervisor for which qualified.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
- Handles incoming calls appropriately, providing a system of triaging and responding to possible life-threatening situations.
- Ensures all forms are labeled correctly and distributed daily.
- Ensures each patient is given a billing sheet at time of check in.
- Collects billing sheet at time of checkout and distributes to Charge Entry Specialist.
- Schedule patients for follow up services at check out.
- Keeps schedule updated with patient check-ins, cancellations, and no shows per policy.
- Acts as liaison with other departments.
- Sorts and distributes department mail with particular attention to patient related documents.
- Assures clerical assistance related to filing maintenance, information retrieval, office documentation and confidential data management.
- Ensures that requests for information are handled promptly and effectively.
- Applies true self pay discounts in accordance with policy.
- Applies discount on copay/deductible/coinsurance in accordance with EMHS policy.
- Follows Point of Service Collections scripting.
- Adheres to Point of Service Collections Policy.
- Develops cooperative constructive working relationships with coworkers, superiors and clients/families. Deals with others in a sensitive, tactful and courteous manner. Must be very understanding to patient's needs.
- Demonstrates flexibility/adaptability to change. Accepts new assignments and changing responsibility in job assignments. Adapt readily to policy and procedure changes.
- Actively participates in departmental meetings.
- Quality of work is thorough, accurate and professional. Appropriate follow-up action is taken. Follows established policies and guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and prioritize important functions. Complete work timely and communicates with Supervisor around work pending completion.
- Adheres to the Hospital Attendance Policy.
- Complies with policies related to confidentiality, i.e., sending/receiving patient information and screening patient phone calls and inquiries.
- Completes daily cash deposit.
- Assists in the revision/design of office procedures.
- Assist in maintaining a work environment free from recognized hazards that create a risk of injury to employees, patients or visitors and that all accidents and incidents are reported by employees and properly investigated. When appropriate, assist with the return of all workers with work related injuries and illnesses to gainful employment.
- All other duties as assigned.
Maintains patient confidentiality at all times. Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner in the community. Maintains regulatory requirements, including Joint Commission, Federal, and State. Complies with all organizational policies regarding EMHS's Code of Conduct and ethical business practices.
Mature individual with job related experience in a medical office practice. Knowledge of medical and psychiatric/chemical dependency terminology and medical records preferred. Special skills include the ability to work with IBM compatible computers for word processing and spreadsheet functions, photocopiers, telephones, Dictaphone and other office equipment. Cognitive requirements include the ability to analyze a situation and make a sound decision on the best way to arrive at a solution. Must be able to address a multiplicity of tasks simultaneously. The ability to work with both clinical and non-clinical personnel in potentially high stress situations is required. Must possess excellent organizational and interpersonal skills. Complete Healthstream Mandatory Education on a yearly basis. Attend all mandatory safety related education programs. Follow safety procedures to prevent injury to self and others. Carries assigned keys and wears hospital ID badge at all times. Refrain from the abuse of chemicals.
Must possess good oral and written communication skills in the English language.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.
Visual acuity, color vision, hearing acuity, and tactile sensation are necessary to respond to patient response and requests. The ability to read and speak English, to communicate and document information. Must possess the manual dexterity and a degree of body strength and flexibility to respond to aggressive patient behavior. The ability to reach and stretch intermittently. Time may be spent sitting at a computer, collaborating with other healthcare team members. Standing and walking comprises some of the workday.