NLH Director of Patient Experience - Medical Group is responsible for providing leadership and executing strategy in achieving our brand promise and performance goals to achieve the highest level of clinical quality, patient safety and experience of care by ensuring patient engagement, activation and experience enterprise standards are met. The Director is responsible for developing and supporting the adoption of principles of excellence in service and patient experience. The Director will support the development of policies and procedures for improving patient experience of care by planning and executing evidence-based initiatives and proven practices aligning with the Northern Light Health System Brand, Quality, and Service Goals and the Quality Division Work Plan. Director leads the implementation of Service initiatives to improve patient experience in all medical group practices across the system as well as the development of current and future customer/patient experience. Position will support the achievement of best in class patient satisfaction/experience and service excellence throughout NLH Medical Group Practices. Position has a matrixed reporting relationship to the Northern Light Health VP and Chief Quality Officer & NLH VP Clinical Services. Position works collaboratively with Sr. Leadership Teams, including the co-presidents of the NLH Medical Group and Director or Practice Operations, VP Provider Practices as well as the human resource department for employee engagement initiatives as assigned. Along with Director Inpatient Patient Experience, serves as the main resource and advisor to Northern Light Health leadership in identification, assessment and implementation of strategic and operational medical group patient experience initiatives to meet strategic goals and will be an expert resource for the executive leadership and member organization teams. A deep knowledge of value-based payment and risk-based contracting across the care continuum, as it relates to patient engagement and experience sensitive indicators required. The Director assists in the development of enterprise system policies and procedures to ensure best in class experience of care, ensure standards that meet accreditation, CMS federal guidelines and include patient engagement Meaningful Use requirements, State licensure guidelines and Quality agencies standards. Proficiency in Lean, Six Sigma and Change Management is expected. In addition, the Director conducts all job responsibilities in a manner that reflects a mature High Reliability Organization (HRO). Travel required to consult with each member organization on a regular basis. Working in close collaboration with physicians, nurses , medical assistants front office staff and other practice care team members, the Director creates a "best in class" culture for patient centric care, built on the evidence-based principles of and proven practices for patient experience. The Director will matrix and support Northern Light Health Organization Strategy, Brand, Operation and Quality, leaders as needed. He/she will work closely with other members of the Quality Division as well as with executive and clinical leaders throughout the system in a matrix structure.
Job Functions and Duties:
- Establish models for learning from stories of both positive and negative patient experiences.
- Establish models for designing, developing and implementing systems to measure and to report on, and influence the patient experience across Northern Light Health; Establish in-depth analysis capabilities of all patient metrics including patient experience surveys, written and verbal feedback, patient complaints, social media and other sources of technology feedback and qualitative data from other sources such as the patient portal.
- Responsible to ensure that all patient experience data is distributed in an effective and timely manner throughout the practices and oversees processes for the on-going monitoring and use of the data to drive performance.
- Establish models for sharing and implementation of best practices among Northern Light Health Member Organizations.
- Identify, plan, implementation and evaluate evidence patient practice into clinician-patient care interactions system-wide; develops and /or supports the development and conduct of appropriate patient experience training programs
- Identify, plan, implement, and evaluate evidence-based and proven best practices for patient experience including this is too "hospital" centric Patient Centric Communication, and Core Principles/Behaviors for Patient Experience and Engagement.
- Enterprise Consultant/Subject Matter Expert.
- Expert knowledge of patient experience impact on value-based purchasing, applicable to population health risk-based contracts, prospective payment hospitals and value-based modifiers for physician practices. Offers strategies and collaborates on System organization initiatives to improve clinical outcome performance, resulting in enhanced financial performance.
- Expert knowledge of issues of health literacy, evidence-based patient clinical decision aid approaches and innovative technologies to support patient/family engagement.
- Leads/facilitates quality leaders from System organizations working closely to ensure patient experience projects are well defined with work deliverables being accomplished.
- Responsible for meeting Patient and Family Centered care and Experience requirements for certification and licensure, including applicable Meaningful Use and Grievance regulations. Collaboration with other Quality Directors for certification and licensure as applicable.
- Patient Reported Outcome Measure Evaluation and Clinical Performance Improvement.
- This is hospital centricPatient reported outcomes measures evaluation for program effectiveness.
- Responsible to develop meaningful metrics to measure performance for Northern Light Health members in the area of patient/family engagement.
- Leads development and supports the strategic plan for Service Excellence and patient/customer satisfaction at all Northern Light medical group practices.
- Works directly and collaboratively with NLH and NL EMMC senior leadership team and employees, to implement Service Excellence and Patient Experience goals based on the strategic plan for Service Excellence.
- Maintains effective communication between Senior leadership, physician group, managers and staff.
- Works with the system patient experience staff to successfully collaborate on service excellence strategy, best practices and related processes to effectively monitor outcomes.
- Delivers organization and community education programming for service excellence.
- Accountable for analysis of and proactive communication and collaboration with Quality Director for organization satisfaction survey and complaint data for driving performance improvement efforts.
- Accountable for developing and implementing operational budget.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Master's Degree, in healthcare communications or a clinical field preferred, or the Equivalent experience for educational requirement is ten (10) successful years of relevant experience in work that requires a progressing level of knowledge and master in that field. At least five (5) years' experience in a healthcare setting required, preferably in an ambulatory practice/clinic setting. Customer service and/or hospitality experience is a plus. Management experience required; Must include operational and direct report accountability. Certification in shared decision making and/or health coaching and patient experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of clinician communication and patient engagement and experience best practices. Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Visio required. Knowledge of Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Conditions of Participation and The Joint Commission Certification Standards relating to patient engagement, education and experience. Knowledge of CMS Meaningful Use requirements.
Collaborate with System organization Quality Leaders (including SPE's, VP's of Nursing, directors of quality and patient experience); System Chief Strategy officer, System Chief Quality Officer; System Chief Medical Officer; Co-Presidents of NLH Medical Group, VP's Provider Practices, NLH Director of Practice Operations , Ambulatory Practice Directors , System Chief Nursing Informatics Officer and Chief Medical Informatics Officer on a regular basis. Directs and/or collaborates with local patient experience and service excellence leads on clinical performance improvement processes.
a. Collaborate with Clinical Informatics and Information Service and NLH Director of Practice Operations to design and implement an oversight process of the Northern Light Health enterprise patient portal, including enhanced functionality, optimization, communication plan development/implementation, daily operational needs and close collaboration with Information Services for customer service technical support; Stewardship for enterprise electronic health record patient education materials. Collaborate with system Brand director to collect, maintain, and prioritize a list of opportunities to improve system level resources impacting customers, and opportunities to improve customer experience across the continuum of care.
Supervision Exercised: NLH Director level position with matrix supervision over all other medical group patient experience leaders within NLH. Supervision Received (ability to act independently): Position requires ability to execute strategy and operationalize the patient experience program.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.
Sedentary work requiring good manual dexterity for keyboarding. Work requires repetitive motions of wrists, hands and fingers. Must have correctable vision to work with a computer monitor, excellent hearing and listening skills to receive and give detailed information through oral communication. Extended periods of sitting, with option to stand, at computer. Ability to communicate in person and over the telephone, effective public speaking, to work independently and in team environments, work under pressure with precision and accuracy, and handle multiple projects simultaneously.