The Health Information Management (HIM) Associate is responsible for timely and efficient processing of patient/health information including, but not limited to, customer service, chart prepping, scanning, indexing, deficiency analysis, vital statistics, retrieving/filing/posting/processing of reports and records, chart location, and assisting physicians with patient record completion.
1. Completes scanning, deficiency analysis, vital statistics, and release of information functions adhering to HIPAA, State & Federal statues on release of information, and Joint Commission/CMS requirements for chart completion.
2. Safeguard patient's protected health information at all times
3. Abstract required information in the Cerner and 3M systems
4. Maintains and exhibits current knowledge of profession and completes required continuing education.
5. Maintain established quality & productivity benchmarks
6. DNFB tracking (escalation of incomplete documentation elements within the medical group)
7. 3M Report distributions
8. MHDO Data corrections and submission
9. External coding audit preparations (claims printing & coding summaries)
10. Maintains a safe environment complying with NLH policies and procedures; reports and directly addresses environmental hazards and violations of patient safety policy and/or protocol when involved or observed.
11. May perform other duties upon request.
RHIT (for certified JD)
Medical terminology course completion required within 6 months. Preferred: Associates Degree in HIM.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Demonstrate system values and integrates them into daily organizational practice.
2. Actively support patient-centered care with sensitivity and respect for the diversity of human experience.
3. Ability to work independently and in a team atmosphere.
4. Must be familiar with PCs and work in multiple technical systems simultaneously: Outlook, Cerner EMR, Siemens, 3M Chart Release, and Excel
5. Must be detail oriented
6. Knowledge of Health Information Management, Healthcare Application technologies, CMS standards, State & Federal statutes on release of information
7. Strong communication skills with ability to effectively present information and respond to questions
8. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
Work involves lifting no more than 10 pounds at a time and occasionally lifting or carrying articles like files, ledgers, and small tools. Although a sedentary job is defined as one which involves sitting, a certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary in carrying out job duties.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.