SUMMARY OF MAJOR FUNCTIONThe position is the first point of contact for patients and visitors. PSR's are responsible for scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, answering telephone inquiries, and collecting co-pays. Responsible for the tracking and accurate completion of all provider referrals while ensuring that proper documentation has occurred and all necessary insurance authorization have been completed.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND WORK ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENTPhysician Office is subject to frequent interruptions. May be exposed to occupational hazards/diseases in physician practices and other patient care settings.PHYSICAL CRITERIA/EFFORT
- Responsible for scheduling patient appointments based on the provider schedules.
- Responsible for daily reminder calls for all patients.
- Meets and greets visitors and patients and keeps them informed of the status of appointments. Utilizing AIDET.
- Responsible for notifying physicians of updates in schedules and meetings.
- Responsible for answering telephones, documenting and referring message to approriate MA/Provider based on patient needs.
- Updates patient registration date and patient accounts in ProPm.
- Collects and posts patient co-pays.
- Maintains charts including the daily filing/scanning of medical correspondence in EMR or paper chart.
- Responsible for the management of the PSR desktop in EMR.
- Responsible for management and distribution of records from the Fusion folder.
- Obtains prior authorizations with insurance for referrals and diagnostic testing.
- Responsible for the management and timely completion of all patient/insurance referrals within 48 hours of receiving an order and electronically records each in the practice management system.
- Notifies patients of all scheduled appointments either by phone or mail and ensures any necessary forms/instructions are provided to them.
- Responsible for the management of the patient portal.
- Responsible for timely completion of charge entry, verifying all visits/orders are entered properly.
- Responsible for mailing, faxing and filing of documents filled out by provider, i.e. FMLA, State of Maine, etc.
- Responsible for Medical Records requests/processing and updating EMR.
- Works with the Practice Team on quality data through Meridios reports.
- Commits to providing excellent customer service. Develops an understanding of customer needs through active listening and surveying customers. Ensures availability and responsiveness to customers.
- Reports operational issues and processing errors to Team Leader/Practice Manager and follows their direction to ensure patient safety and timely resolution. Implements Service Recovery actions, as modeled by Inland Hospital, when appropriate.
- Attends all mandatory in-services/educationals and meetings
- Complies with Inland Hospital Hand Hygiene Standards.
- Adheres to Inland Hospital Standards of Behavior.
- Performs all other duties assigned.
Physical effort minimally required. Work involves sitting 85% of the time. Constant hand motion involved with writing, typing, and answering the telephone. Some duties require standing, wide freedom of movement, stooping, bending, lifting, pushing or pulling (<25 lbs.). Frequent periods of concentration and close attention to detail.SAFETY1. Maintain a safe environment which includes knowing and understanding hospital and departmental policies and procedures.2. Report and directly address identified environmental hazards when appropriate.3. Report and directly address violations of patient safety policy and/or protocol when involved or observed.OCCUPATIONAL RISKSFailure to follow established procedures could result in back injury or strains from lifting, bending, or pulls and strains from repetitive hand motions. Glare from lights could cause eyestrain.PROBABILITY AND CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
Errors could result in the communication of patient information and a loss of revenue.NUMBERS SUPERVISEDNon-supervisory position.MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR THE JOB· Excellent telephone skills· Knowledge of EMR preferred.· Organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently to complete assigned job functions· Must be able to deal effectively with the public and all levels employees· Knowledge of MS OfficeEDUCATIONHigh School education or the equivalent of required. Knowledge of Medical Terminology required.EXPERIENCEPrior experience with medical office and medical terminology required.SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIREDMedical Terminology Required.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.