The Central Processing Technician is under the operational supervision of the Supervisor Main Lab and is responsible for the management of specimen procurement. This Technician ensures specimens are properly labeled with name, date, and time of collection and initials of person procuring specimen. They receive the specimen in the computer and put in proper collection time as found on tube. The incumbent sees that STAT specimens are spun immediately and/or delivered to the appropriate person so testing can be accomplished in established STAT time frame. They spin and/or deliver all routine specimens to the appropriate workstation. It is their responsibility that all specimens going to the reference laboratory are packaged appropriately and sent out with the next courier. Will inventory and order reference lab supplies as needed. Ensures the specimens are logged in appropriately and will enter orders in ARUP Connect for non-interfaced send outs to that referral lab. They place calls to the reference laboratory when needed and send results out to physician offices. Will enter orders into the computer upon receipt of doctor's orders. Appropriately handles and packages any referral specimens requiring Fed-Ex shipping. Review and resolves any problems left from prior evening in the CP problem box for resolution. There is documentation of any problems encountered with a specimen. In the absence of lab assistants, will perform phlebotomy for in and outpatients, as well as the ER when needed. The incumbent performs duties and tasks in accordance with performance standards established for the job. The incumbent may have access to highly confidential patient, employee and/or Northern Light Mercy Hospital proprietary information, and must handle & protect the information in accordance with hospital & system policies, HIPAA requirements and the highest level of ethical standards. The incumbent is responsible for reporting all security events, potential events, or other security risks to the organization. The incumbent is responsible for participation in and completion of all patient safety initiatives appropriate to the position, and conducts all job responsibilities according to the Mission and Values of Northern Light Mercy Hospital.Requirements:Completion of a certified phlebotomy program is required. A High School Diploma or GED is required. Computer skills (order entry and report generation) experience needed. The incumbent must operate independently to complete all tasks with minimal supervision. Must have good interpersonal skills necessary to provide and accept direction and to provide patient care problem solving under stressful circumstances. Analytical and problem solving skills are necessary to problem solve in non-typical situations and maintain quality of patient care. A high degree of professional judgment is necessary in dealing with technical, human interaction, and adverse patient reaction problems. Must be accountable for performing assigned tasks in timely and accurate manner. Incumbent's performance directly impacts patient care. Incumbent has access to highly confidential patient information.
1. Evaluates specimen for appropriateness and initiates a redraw or request for new specimen when necessary. Maintains specimen integrity according to section policy.
• Include documentation in computer.
2. Processes specimens in accordance with established protocol.
• Centrifuges specimens as needed. Performs minor maintenance as needed
• Aliquots specimens in appropriately labeled containers according to lab and referral lab policy.
3. Prepares all specimens going to reference laboratory.
• Ensures all specimens are in proper container.
• Appropriate paper work, transfer list and/or requisitions, accompanies specimens.
• Countersigns courier logs, both coming and going, to ensure tracking of all specimens
• All proper specimen requirements met.
• Tracks sent out tests using manual and/or computerized systems within established guidelines.
4. Receives all specimens into computer following proper protocol.
• Selects correct FIN (financial number) for correct date of service
• Enters date of collection from specimen.
• Enters LIS initials of phlebotomist or specimen collector drawing blood or body fluids including urine
• Ensures proper specimen is collected for testing requested.
5. Delivers processed specimen to appropriate work area, or places specimen in appropriate rack.
• Knows department locations for testing to be performed
6. Provides the patient care interface for the Clinical Laboratory.
• Provides appropriate follow through when faced with unusual or adverse patient reactions.
• Handles patient and caregiver problems and complaints and refers to the supervisor or manager for resolution or Midas entry.
7. Demonstrates competency in information management, acting as the communications interface between the Clinical Laboratory, the public, and other caregivers.
• Courteously greets individuals accessing the lab with name, department and an inquiry regarding the nature of their interaction.
• "0" justifiable complaints of curtness, rudeness or lack of assistance.
• Transcribes order into ordering system with < 1 error/month.
• Handles incoming and outgoing telephone communications.
• Processes, reviews and distributes patient reports in accordance with SOP.
• Organizes location lab requisitions for scanning into online location folders.
• Reviews requisitions as a double-check for orders received and entered from outreach areas for accuracy. Corrects any error(s) found or refers to management for corrective action
8. Utilizes spare time in work related activities contributing to the labs needs.
• Reviews department specific manuals bi-annually
• Cleans/disinfects area benches and draw stations
9. Demonstrates competency in the proper use of area supplies, equipment, telephones, and information systems (manual and computers).
• Demonstrates basic operational skills for telephone, faxes, photocopiers, label printers, scanners, and information systems.
• Demonstrates basic maintenance skills for area equipment. (i.e., change toner, adds paper, adds label stock, etc.).
• Demonstrates basic inventory management that assures area supplies are adequate for workloads. Orders supplies, as needed, from Reference labs
10. Manages area workloads and assures completion of various work functions.
• Review pending work and communicates unresolved issues with peers prior to breaks or end of shift.
• Utilizes manual and/or computer reports (Collections inquiry) to review for pending or incomplete work.
• Resolves or refers for resolution all identified workload issues.
• Complies with and assures prompt delivery of specimens in accordance with established priority testing level time requirements
11. Participates in Quality Improvement Initiatives.
• Notifies management regarding all adverse patient reactions.
• Provides information to management when involved in any patient and/or caregiver complaints.
• Utilizes atypical situations and difficult technical problems as an opportunity to improve technical and decision making skills.
12. Assumes responsibility for personal and team professional growth and development.
• Provides orientation and training to primary job functions to new peers and associates.
• Provides any orientation and training feedback in a confidential manner.
• Attends and self-document participation in staff meetings.
• Acquires skills and knowledge regarding new policies and procedures within the designated time frames.
• Completes annual review (100%) of all job specific manuals.
13. Completes required online safety modules in a timely fashion.
14. Performs additional duties as required or assigned.
• Must be able to provide backup phlebotomy assistance when no lab assistant is available or when difficult sticks need a redraw (in accordance with the Lab Assistant 61BAS1 job description)
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.