GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTIONThe phlebotomist provides support for the technical functions of the laboratory. The phlebotomist performs specimen collection, performs waived point-of-care testing, performs laboratory aide functions and performs related clerical functions. Responsibilities also include receiving outpatients in a pleasant and efficient manner, and performing order entry completely and accurately. Other duties are performed as assigned.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES1. PHLEBOTOMIST DUTIES
- Receive and direct outpatients.
- Perform venipuncture and capillary puncture.
- Collected throat, Nasopharyngeal and urine specimens.
- Perform limited urinalysis testing.
- Perform LIS order-entry and maintain necessary competency with computer operations and procedures.
- Assist with ordering and receiving laboratory supplies.
- Perform limited clerical duties including record keeping, sorting, delivering and filing laboratory reports.
- Restock collection trays and assist in maintaining inventory of supplies related to specimen collection.
- Arrange for disposal of all biohazard waste and sharps generated from performing phlebotomy procedures.
- Deliver all specimens to laboratory specimen processing area in a timely manner.
- Will attend training sessions and review procedures and new information related to phlebotomy, computer use, safety and related topics when assigned by the laboratory manager.
- Model behavior consistent with the TAMC Standards of Behavior.
JOB REQUIREMENTSEducation, License, Certification, and Experience
Aptitudes· Good communication skills.· Must demonstrate good judgment, tact, and courtesy.· Must demonstrate a mature caring manner.· Must adhere to and demonstrate a complete understanding of confidentiality policies. · Good problem solving skills· Good interpersonal skills· Willingness to accept new projects.· Good organizational skillsAvailability· Normally an eight-hour shift, with weekend and holiday rotation.· Shift rotation may include evenings and nights.· Periodic overtime may be required.· Periodic callback may be required to resolve schedule shortages
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Related experience preferred but not required
- Experience with computer systems preferred but not required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) within six months of hire. Updated as required by certification.